KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – April 6, 2020 – National nonprofit St. Christopher Truckers Relief Fund (SCF) announced today that the charity has received a $50,000 donation from C.H. Robinson, one of the largest logistics platforms in the world. The donation, one of the largest ever received by St. Christopher, comes at a critical time in the trucking industry, as truck drivers are essential in the efforts to stem the COVID-19 outbreak and support Americans across the country with food, medical supplies, and fuel.
“Alongside all the healthcare workers, truck drivers on the road right now are true heroes, battling this virus on the frontlines,” stated SCF Executive Director Dr. Donna Kennedy. “Within the next two weeks we expect to see a significant increase in truckers contracting the coronavirus, many of which do not have healthcare coverage or the financial means to support their families. This is going to be a major problem for everyone, including the drivers, the industry, the economy, and Americans across the country.”
When you look at the facts about truck drivers and their job/environment versus what we know about the coronavirus, there is clear evidence that the industry should be ready for exposure in the coming weeks.
- While truck drivers spend most of their time alone in their truck, delivery and pickup points involve human interaction, including signing forms, opening doors, and using a restroom.
- Truck stops and travel centers along the interstates have significantly modified their cleaning and service offerings to accommodate the current situation, but there is still a human interaction element that must exist.
- Most truck drivers are usually hundreds of miles from home with limited options when they suddenly become symptomatic. Doctors offices and hospitals do not accommodate truck parking, and primary care physicians are not just a phone call away.
- The current trucking workforce also skews older than most industries. The industry suffers from high rates of obesity and smoking, which lead to underlying health conditions for people in an age bracket that is most vulnerable to catching the virus.
- If a driver is to contract the virus and recover, the financial impact on the driver and their families can be devastating, as for many drivers, spending a month off the road to recover might mean losing their truck.
“The pivotal role that truck drivers play in keeping our economy moving has been made even more clear in recent weeks as we have faced the COVID-19 crisis. We are proud to play a role in the incredible work St. Christopher Fund is doing to support the driver community, as they continue to get us the supplies we all need during this difficult time,” states Angie Freeman, Chief Human Resources and ESG Officer, and President of the C.H. Robinson Foundation.
Donations to SCF help provide financial assistance to ill or injured semi-truck drivers. Assistance may be in the form of direct payment to providers for household living expenses such as rent/mortgage, utilities, vehicle payments, and insurance. SCF also provides health and wellness programs for drivers in hopes to prevent some medical illnesses. Some of these programs include health challenges, smoking cessation, and free flu, shingles and pneumonia vaccines.
“We cannot thank C.H. Robinson and all their hard-working employees enough for this generous donation at such a critical time for these drivers and the country. We need others to come forward with this level of generosity and pride to help drivers out on the road,” added Kennedy.
Truckers needing assistance from SCF may apply by clicking here. To donate to SCF’s mission to support truckers and their families in financial need, click here, or contact Shannon Currier at email@example.com.
About St. Christopher Truckers Relief Fund
The St. Christopher Truckers Relief Fund (SCF) helps over-the-road/regional semi-truck drivers and their families who are out of work due to a recent illness or injury. Assistance may be in the form of direct payment to providers for household living expenses such as, rent/mortgage, utilities, vehicle payments, and insurance. The SCF also provides health and wellness programs such as free vaccines and smoking cessation. For more information, visit TruckersFund.org.
About C.H. Robinson
C.H. Robinson solves logistics problems for companies across the globe and across industries, from the simple to the most complex. With nearly $20 billion in freight under management and 18 million shipments annually, we are one of the world’s largest logistics platforms. Our global suite of services accelerates trade to seamlessly deliver the products and goods that drive the world’s economy. With the combination of our multimodal transportation management system and expertise, we use our information advantage to deliver smarter solutions for our more than 119,000 customers and 78,000 contract carriers. Our technology is built by and for supply chain experts to bring faster, more meaningful improvements to our customers’ businesses. As a responsible global citizen, we are also proud to contribute millions of dollars to support causes that matter to our company, our Foundation and our employees. For more information, visit us at www.chrobinson.com (Nasdaq: CHRW).